Ceiling Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope this post is in the right section....

Im thinking of instaling a starlight fibre optic lighting kit into a bathroom ceiling, hundreds of little fibres randomly placed to look like the stars. The ceiling i have in at the minute will be getting ripped down as its in a state.
The only problem im thinking is that when i drill these holes for the fibres i obviously will hit joists, and then there will be several dark lines on the ceiling where there cannot be any fibre lights cos the joist is above. I think this will stand out like a saw thumb....
Is it advisable to suspend a ceiling maybe? what is the least frame work possible to put a ceiling up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's advisable, once ceiling has been removed to make plan of your joists and any noggins or other obstructions, then design your lighting to avoid these.
Also be aware that any electrical connection within this ceiling void must be easily accessible for maintanace, inspection and testing. So you must eliminate the installation of any inaccessible joints, junction boxes or transformers. Also if new cables are routed within walls, they must be in permitted safe zones and very likely to require rcd protection. If new cable and electrical is fitted within the zones of a bathroom the chances are that this work will then require building notifications and the relevant installation documents.

As far as spacing of any new joist, I would recommend no greater than 450mm.

Thanks for that , I'm an electrician so that side of it Is sorted. It's just really weather I can hang a ceiling with wires rather than joists to decrease obstacles when fitting these star lights really

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back