Ceiling light change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently bought a ceiling light to replace a pendant but I am unsure how to connect it since it has a few more wires than usual :D

Could anyone explain how I need to wire up the new fitting in simple terms.

The new light has 3 wires, one earth, one live and one neutral.

The existing pendant seems to have one switched live but then 4 brown in the middle and 3 neutral wires on the right hand side as I look at it.

I managed to fit the other lights in the house using wago connectors but that had one switched live, 3 in the middle and only 2 neutral wires on the right hand side.

If anyone could tell me what type of wago I need for this configuration I would really appreciate it.

I have attached a picture of the existing fitting.

Thanks

Attachments

• CE1885BF-0D85-4D27-B097-73817EBB949C.jpeg
    CE1885BF-0D85-4D27-B097-73817EBB949C.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi all

I have recently bought a ceiling light to replace a pendant but I am unsure how to connect it since it has a few more wires than usual :D
It's only got one more L & N than usual, but other than that it's just bog-standard ceiling rose wiring (even though done by a bit of a twit who stuffed multiple conductors into one terminal whilst leaving others which he could have used empty), and you really ought to get your head round that before doing jobs like this.

Could anyone explain how I need to wire up the new fitting in simple terms.
In simple terms by getting your head around how lighting circuits work, and thus knowing how to connect the various wires. It really is only a few hours work, and trying to do it by just following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without understanding why is really not a sensible basis for electrical work.

But I expect someone here will do that for you, particularly those who disagree with the idea that you should be encouraged to learn something useful, and who are more interested in having a go at me for suggesting such a thing than actually acting in your best interests.

The existing pendant seems to have one switched live but then 4

[EDIT]blue you mean brown[/EDIT]​

in the middle and 3 neutral wires on the right hand side as I look at it.
Why it has an extra cable would be interesting for you to find out, but assuming everything is working as it should, it has no bearing on replacing the light beyond making sure you have connectors suitable for connecting everything as it currently is.

Guesses for likely candidates for that extra cable:

An outside light
A shaver socket
A manually switched fan

If anyone could tell me what type of wago I need for this configuration I would really appreciate it.
Ones with enough ports for the number of conductors you have.

I managed to fit the other lights in the house using wago connectors but that had one switched live, 3 in the middle and only 2 neutral wires on the right hand side.
It's connected in the same way it is now, which is the same way as the others were. The wires have the same functions, there are just more of them.

The fact that it has more wires than the others just means you need connectors which can accept more wires.

It's connected in the same way it is now, which is the same way as the others were. The wires have the same functions, there are just more of them.

The fact that it has more wires than the others just means you need connectors which can accept more wires.

Thanks for the reply I will take a look at what type of wago connector I need.

Sponsored Links
It's only got one more L & N than usual, but other than that it's just bog-standard ceiling rose wiring ... Why it has an extra cable would be interesting for you to find out, but assuming everything is working as it should, it has no bearing on replacing the light beyond making sure you have connectors suitable for connecting everything as it currently is.

Ones with enough ports for the number of conductors you have.
:D

I will take a look at what type of wago connector I need.
What sort did you use before?

:D

What sort did you use before?

I used these for the other lights-

The 3 terminal 222 series for the 3 loop in the middle.

The 224 connector with 3 conductors for the 2 neutral wires.

The 224 with 2 conductors for the 1 switched live.

I have attached pics of what I bought.

Cheers

Attachments

• 8EABC97A-CFDA-44AE-84F6-EFE0E8ED356D.png
    8EABC97A-CFDA-44AE-84F6-EFE0E8ED356D.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 111
  • D2890D1A-4368-4BEE-8A23-2769B0919BC0.png
    D2890D1A-4368-4BEE-8A23-2769B0919BC0.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 3253E8AC-A1B6-4655-A4B9-12B58CB723E1.png
    3253E8AC-A1B6-4655-A4B9-12B58CB723E1.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Well I'm sure you can count the number of conductors you have in each section of the rose....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back