ceiling light powered from 3-pin plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm mainly looking for reassurance that I'm not doing something dangerous...

I have a conservatory without a hard-wired light fixture and I'd like to add a fitting but power it from a wall socket.

From googling, I can't find any reason why it would be unsafe to wire a standard ceiling light fitting (i.e. something designed to wire directly into the lighting circuit) directly to a 3-core, 0.75mm² cable with standard 3-pin plug to power the light directly from a wall socket. I'll only be using 1 LED bulb so I think a 3A fuse should be fine? Is that all correct?

To reach the ceiling, the cable will be quite long (~7 meters) and I'd like to add an in-line rocker switch. Would either of those pose a problem or add any extra safety considerations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. That's what I thought, but I have zero experience.
As a side note, do you know any good places to learn the basics you need for doing small electrical jobs around the house safely?

Sponsored Links
I’m not an electrician so can’t really give advice, but YouTube has a video for almost everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back