Ceiling light problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked through the forum but nothing seems to match my problem. Sorry if this is a double post.

Ceiling cables. Two red twisted together. Two black twisted together. One single black with no other markings. ( This is how they were when disconnected.)

Homebase ceiling light with "L" and "N" connectors. Connected both red to "L" and both black to "N" Left single black as I thought this is probably the earth. Lights come on but wont switch off or dim. Tried reversing conections samething happens.

Could the single black be the switch wire? If so where does it go?

Dimmer switch wiring. Red = load. Black = line one. Earthed.

It all worked fine until I "installed" the new light. Why does a five minute job always turn into a project? :(

Sponsored Links
The single black wire is the switched live, which you should connect to the "L" terminal of the light. The 2 twisted reds are permanently live and should remain connected together in a separate terminal slot or choc box. The twisted black wires should connect to the "N" terminal, as you have done.

The Wiki refers.

Sponsored Links
That would not explain why there is three black wires and only two reds.

Presumably there is two reds (loop)

two blacks (neutrals)

one black (switched live)

If it was the last fitting on the circuit, there would only be two reds and two blacks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back