Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing kitchen ceiling light.
Removed old light and got what seems to be standard wiring
the old light fitting was connected by 3 wires, live neutral and earth - the red wires at the end of the block were not connected to the light fitting (presume its the wiring loop?)
the new light fitting has same block connector as the old fitting
Questions!
What is the best way to connect up the two.... if I use wire from one block to the other which should I get? Is it ok to shove the block up into the ceiling and have new wire to light fitting or should I get a junction box?
Any help/advice much appreciated, Im doing nothing til Im sure
Oh and as a temp measure is it ok to wire a standard live/neutral flex with bulb at the end, one Ive got knocking about has no earth, should I worry?

Sponsored Links
You appear to have a live, neutral and earth loop system in terminal block and it looks like the left most black cable could be your switch live.
If this is so then you will need 1mm or 1.5mm T&E - and connect to the lamp unit terminal block as per normal - brown to live - blue to neutral and sleeved earth to the earth.
At the other end connect the brown to the switch live (black?) the blue to the black neutral (looks like 2nd from right) and the earth to the earth.
No need for junction box - probably wouldn't fit anyway.

It's likely to be a bit fidgety and a bit of a squeeze to get all those cables connected in to the connection block on the fitting I would link across the two with either T&E or 3 core flex.
Ideally if you are going to poke the connection block up in to the ceiling it would be safer to have it enclosed within a choc box.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back