Ceiling mounted light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to change some ceiling mounted light fittings.

The existing wiring runs into a perspex ceiling mounted connecter. One wire black with red sleeve is live, two black wires are neutral and three red wires are connected in the centre.

My new fitting has an electronic transformer with two push fit connections a live and a neutral. How should these be connected to existing wiring as there is no room for the perspex connector once screwed into the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Perspex connector = terminal block?
Can you upload a piccy to imageshack and post the link?

Sponsored Links
2 blacks = neutral
1 black with red sleeve = live
3 reds should be inserted into a separate connector block

Eh? The 3 reds go to the loop which is specifically what it is designed for. There are enough terminals to insert a wire in each instead of doubling them up. Looks wired as I'd initially expect it to be done (bar the doubling of wires), have you got all the wires tight? Not snapped any cores?

thought the DIYer was changing the fitting which does not have a loop terminal, hence the use of a connector?

I have identified the wires my problem now is how do I connect the transformer which has a live and a neutral wire (with push fit connections) to the existing wires. Do I connect the middle three wires to a terminal block and push the ceiling neutral into the transformer neutral lead and the same with the live?

Sorry, I am muddling this up with another post!! :oops:
You need to remove the wires and terminate them into a junction box. From the junction box, run a single piece of twin and earth to the transformer. Alternatively you can use chock block installed in a chock box. All this should be accessable for when the transformer fails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back