Ceiling Pendent/Rose wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post on this site! Was wondering if someone has the answers to a couple questions about re wiring a ceiling pendent.

When the house was last wired i'm assuming it was pre adoption of europe colours.

I think the pendent is the end of the chain as there are only 2 wires available, the black one with the blue tape is the only one that picks up voltage on my reader the other black one doesn't pick up voltage, it appears there are no neutral wires? The exposed sheathed wire are the earths?

2 red wires are capped off.

I've attached a photo of the ceiling pendent, one of the wires has to go into the switch but i'm not sure which one, then the other wire has to go into the loop?

I'm sure the above is all wrong but if someone could help it would be much appreciated!

I've attached some photos for clarity.

Attachments

• light 1.jpg
    light 1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 200
  • light 2.jpg
    light 2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 189
  • light 3.jpg
    light 3.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 198
  • light 4.jpg
    light 4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
I think the pendent is the end of the chain as there are only 2 wires available, the black one with the blue tape is the only one that picks up voltage on my reader the other black one doesn't pick up voltage, it appears there are no neutral wires?
The one with the blue tape appears to be the Switched Live, and therefore the other must be the Neutral.
How could it work if one was not a Neutral?

The exposed sheathed wire are the earths?
Yes, the ones marked Green&Yellow.
There should be three connected together.

2 red wires are capped off.
They are not 'capped off' but connected together.
A Permanent Live from the supply and one to the switch.

See how it works:
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

I can see THREE cables emerging from the ceiling.

I think there is another red and black lurking in the picture.

Can you take a better picture which clearly shows EVERY wire?

Looks to be like the third twin had red and black in separate wagos, not connected to anything, so suspect this was a feed onto elsewhere thats been disconnected

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

I didn't realise that the two reds were connected and passing power through so that was going straight to the switch.

the loop out live and neutral was disconnected as Adam_151 said.

It involved just plugging the switch and neutral into the pendent and the neutral, I was confused because I was expecting to see a live going from the power supply going into the pendent.

Managed to sort it in the end though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back