Ceiling requiring re-boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling that is no longer flat and/or well attached to the joists above. Should i remove all current plasterboard (dislodging all granular insulation from above, requiring costly replacement) or can i just attach new boards through the old ones then skim over?

Sponsored Links
will this be strong enough to pull the existing sagging plasterboard back up into place. Are there special screws/nails that i can use to prevent them just punching throught the new board (i.e. force on the board from above could push the board over a small headed nail)

If your plasterboard is sagging then you've got a problem in the loft. The insulation is too heavy for the board or it may have got soggy from a leak. Either way something is not right.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll have to replace the bowed section. If it then looks OK you can simply skim the lot. No need to board twice if it is OK-ish.

We're also looking at overboarding an existing ceiling. We've had a plasterer around who said he would attach new plaster board using something called Slate Lat (I think this is what he said). He said it would secure the new plaster board much better than just hoping that the screws go into the joists. Does anyone know anything about this technique?

Cheers

Matt

yeh i believe it has got wet in the past but it has dried out fully now.

plasterboards that have been wet, have subsequently sagged, can dry out in a sagged state.

these sagged boards can be very difficult to press back into their original state.

if this is the case, i might be inclined to bite the bullet and remove before replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back