Cellar plaster white patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’re having our cellar tanked and plastered and we’ve noticed some weird dotting in the plaster. It looks like salt is coming through too near the vents. The vents go directly to the outside wall and we’re worried it’s letting in water. We were told to get ventilation but it’s literally two giant holes through the wall. Any ideas before we cry?
It was taken back to brick, slurry, cement then plastered. At a complete loss

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
OP,
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

Whats seems to be happening is damp is penetrating what you call tanking.
What you describe is not tanking. Tanking is a far more extensive treatment.
You say "slurry, cement then plastered" - what does cement mean?
What does plastered mean?
I can see gypsum skim finish has been used - thats wrong: no gypsum of any sort should be used in a damp situation.

Can you stand back and show far more context of the cellar? And a pic of the outside showing the air bricks or vent covers?
Is the cellar one room - does it have a window?

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. So my understanding is a tanking slurry was used, it was similar to K Slurry, then cement put over and then plastered. It’s only been done a week can damp show that quickly? What would you suggest the best course of action is please? I will take a better photo and post it. Yes it does have a window

OP,
Its difficult to help you unless you answer all my questions? Such as, what exactly was the mix for "cement" and "plastered"? Cement means nothing by itself & what was it plastered with?

Sponsored Links
Did you have the work done by a professional tanking firm, or a a random builder?

Is it a system, or with proprietary damp proofing products, or just done as you've described with ordinary cement and plaster?

Was the wall nuturalised first to deal with salts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back