cement keeps falling out of ridge tiles, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done some small building work before but it is not my skill but recently my neighbour showed me that their half round ridge tiles were loose and asked if I would do it for them for a favour. It looked quite easy and was quite low level and I had done similar jobs before so I said yes and cleaned and cleared the 1st 2 tiles. The mortar they had used before looked too sandy in colour to me as if too much sand had been used but as I say I am no expert on this.

Anyway I read up on here what to do and it was going ok until I had to fill in the front of the front ridge tile, it just seemed not to stick to the tile and form one big clump that kept falling out towards me. I tried what I thought was a normal mix and then I tried a very dry mix but nothing seemed to work. If you imagine the face is sort of sloping towards the ground, so it is sort of like trying to get the cement to stay in above you but that is an exaggeration, I had expected it to hold sufficient instead of bulging out and falling out.

The photos is a picture of how it was, not of my efforts. Can anybody tell me what was wrong, it was like I needed a board to place in front of it to stop it falling out but then of course I could not have put the mortar in. I used Mastercrete and building sand for mortar and it had been in my garage for about 2 months but well sealed up, ie it looked still in perfect condition.

20000_19961_34878_14656043_thumb.jpg
20000_19961_34877_59651763_thumb.jpg
20000_19961_34879_14200294_thumb.jpg

Can anybody tell me what I did wrong and does the old mortar look too sandy a mix?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to put some small pieces of tile in the end. A large piece of mortar on it's own will tend to fall out.
Also put a hip iron in.

You need put a few pieces of broken tile in the end to pack the mortar, and not mix it too wet and not mess about continually trowelling it

The broken tiles at put in horizontally and you either let them show (ie cut them to lengths to suit the ridge tile diameter) or set them back a bit and smooth the mortar over them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back