Central hating won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating won't turn off when our hot water is on. To turn off the heating we have to either turn off the hot water, or turn off the boiler completely. Any suggestions>?

Sponsored Links
My initial response to your problem is:
If you have a 3 position diverter valve then it could be stuck in the 'heating positon ' or the 'mid position' or if you don't have that type of system then I would assume the pump is constantly running due to a faulty room stat.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OUr system has a 3 way valve (fairly new actually as we had it replaced in February not long after we moved into the house, after it short circuited). Is there any way of finding out if this is the problem, or should I get someone in? The problem seems to be intermittent - it has happened 3 times in the last 5 days, but if we leave everything off overnight and turn it on again in the morning, it seems to work ok for most of the day.

Get the company back who fitted the diverter valve.....It may be faulty???

Sponsored Links
Will's right about getting the installer to look at it. If it's intermittent, it sounds suspiciously like a connection that needs attention.

Thanks - we'll do that as it should still be under a 12 month guarantee.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We got someone back to look at things and they reckon the valve is fine and that it is the PCB control?? in the boiler (a Baxi 2) which is the problem, causing the pump to override everything else. Does that sound likely?

Is this a new problem? Some programmers won't let you turn the HW off without the CH going off too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back