Central heating and shower wierdness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys newbie here hoping for some advice.

I have a Potterton Prima B boiler, now first question is this a 'combi' boiler? I have a cold water tank in the loft and a hot water tank in an airing cupbard next to the bathroom.

Second question, why is the hot water pressure on my Redring Active 320 (8.5Kw) so poor?

The boiler also makes some banging noises on start up, and also makes a noise like its switching itself on and off at regular intervals when either CH or HW programs are on. The switching on/off cycle seems to last around 10-20 seconds, is this normal?

I have it set on Max and the pilot light is fine.

The missus recommends a boiler service from British Gas, but at £80 i'm hesitant this close to christmas.

Thanks a lot for any advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
No, its not a combi

Scale, poor mains, old shower

No, its not normal

Listen to the missus.

firstly your Prima B is not a combi. It heats hot water via a coil heat exchanger in the hot water cylinder.

Secondly the hot water "pressure" on an electric shower is bound to be poor (compared to other types of shower), especially when the incoming cold water gets colder (in cold weather).

As for boiler problem, a service will not necessarily deal with these problems. What you want is a repair, for which the pricing structure is different. Sounds as if circulation is poor, possibly due to pump not performing or sludge clogging up pipes. Could be expensive.

Happy Christmas. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back