Central heating closed circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Is it possible to replace the inlet valve on a single radiator by closing all the other radiator inlet and outlet valves and drain feed to this radiator only without draining the whole system. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
You can close all the other valves so those radiators all remain full of water.

Then empty the rest of the system (boiler and all pipework) plus the radiator needing the new valve.

If the radiator in question is an upstairs one there's no need to remove any water in the pipework that's much below the level of it's valves.

If it's a vented system, F&E tank in the loft, then you can bung the feed pipe in the tank, causing a vacuum in the system and can usually swap the valve out without draining.
If it's a combi system then you need to drain the main flow and return pipe to the lowest point level with the valve you're changing, after closing the other rad valves.

Thanks Jackthorn
I had hoped not to empty the boiler. My radiators and boiler are all on the one level and I have just put a new radiator on and closed the flow valve end and had hoped to just reduce the boiler pressure by opening the flushing line briefly which is piped to outside the house. I presume any head pressure would make it impossible to work on the replacement inlet radiator valve.
The job in hand is having to cut the old 10mm plastic pipe to remove the old acorn fitting and replace by upgrade valve. BTW Replacing all system pipes is not an option at this stage. Thanks again from Heidthebaw.

Sponsored Links
Drain the pressure off and do it live, plenty of towels down though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back