Central heating filter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a problem with boiler bypass a few months ago getting totally blocked with crud.

I've decided I want to install some sort of inline filter to my open system.

The best/easiest place to install would be on the return pipe to the boiler that's in the garage.
The only place that it can be fitted would be a horizontal section that comes through the house/garage wall at ceiling height and continues at ceiling height to opposite wall where it drops down to top of boiler. There is only about 3 inches of straight vertical pipework so no room to fit there.
My question is, what would be some decent recommendations for a filter that could only fit pipework horizontally, and pipework is less than 40mm from boarded ceiling.
I was going with Fernox TF1 which can be fitted on horizontal pipework but then read it needs 150mm clearance above pipework to clean out.
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks , I'll have a good read up on that one.
It seems to be a bit cheaper than the TF1 I've been looking at.
Cheers

Return pipes usually are the best place to fit magnet filters. Closer to the boiler the better.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I had a problem with boiler bypass a few months ago getting totally blocked with crud.

I've decided I want to install some sort of inline filter to my open system.

The best/easiest place to install would be on the return pipe to the boiler that's in the garage.
The only place that it can be fitted would be a horizontal section that comes through the house/garage wall at ceiling height and continues at ceiling height to opposite wall where it drops down to top of boiler. There is only about 3 inches of straight vertical pipework so no room to fit there.
My question is, what would be some decent recommendations for a filter that could only fit pipework horizontally, and pipework is less than 40mm from boarded ceiling.
I was going with Fernox TF1 which can be fitted on horizontal pipework but then read it needs 150mm clearance above pipework to clean out.
Thanks for any replies.

Can you post a photo?
Get the Omega... not the Original Tf1... former is great, latter is $hit.
If it’s in the garage can you not cut a hole in the ceiling to get it in the void or is it directly below roof covering? Hence need photos to see... else you may have to create a U in the pipework.

Thanks for replies.
I've read up on the omega and watched some videos on you tube and it will do the job perfect without cutting into the ceiling, due to it being able to swivel the body.
I've just ordered one.
Thanks again.

Thanks for replies.
I've read up on the omega and watched some videos on you tube and it will do the job perfect without cutting into the ceiling, due to it being able to swivel the body.
I've just ordered one.
Thanks again.

I don’t believe you can leave the filter body in a horizontal orientation... 45 degrees is the angle that it can operate at... vertical is better... can you do this with the clearances you have?

Yes, I can leave it vertical in use, swivel it 45 deg or more to get the magnet out, swivel it back to flush, then reversal of the above.
A bit fiddly but it's my only option and shouldn't take a couple of minutes with practice.

What was the reason for the build up of crud ? There may be other partial blockages on your system.
swivel it 45 deg or more to get the magnet out, swivel it back to flush, then reversal of the above.
Make sure the o rings are well lubricated :idea:

What was the reason for the build up of crud ? There may be other partial blockages on your system.

Make sure the o rings are well lubricated :idea:

The blockage was to the tacosetter, it was just full of small flakes of metal and general crud, after I flushed the system out I just thought a filter would help keep things cleaner.

I'm also thinking an auto bypass would be better than a tacosetter to get done,while the system is drained down fitting the filter, as the tacosetter can't be that efficient always letting some water straight back to boiler.
Would that be correct thinking?
Thanks

The blockage was to the tacosetter, it was just full of small flakes of metal and general crud, after I flushed the system out I just thought a filter would help keep things cleaner.
great stuff (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back