Central heating pressure drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating system loses pressure in a dramatic way (gauge is down to zero within 2 weeks of topping up the system). This has been going on for several months. We've looked at all the radiators and at the wall/floor around the boiler, and re-checked an underfloor pipe that was mended a few years ago, and there are no obvious water leaks that we can see. Also, our downstairs neighbours know about this but haven't reported any damp on their ceilings (yet!).

The boiler is a Vokera Mynute, 9 years old. Nothing plumbing-related has been changed in our house to explain the problem starting. Even at very low pressure, the central heating system works correctly. It doesn't seem possible that we could have a water leak going on for months at a stretch without our neighbours finding water patches. Can anyone suggest anything?

Sponsored Links
Just read the Wiki, going by the definitions there I *think* this is an open vented system, but I could be wrong. It features a valve and tap by which you can add water to the system, a small vent pipe that goes through the wall at one side, and the boiler appears to have a kind of wide chimney pipe going through to the roof. Apologies for the non-technical description - the boiler was installed some time before we lived here.

I *think* this is an open vented system

I think not

a valve and tap by which you can add water to the system

a filling loop

wide chimney pipe going through to the roof

flue.

does the pressure go up when the boiler is firing? is there a drip from the pressure releif pipe, the one through the wall?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the pressure does go up when the system fires. Average rise is about 0.5 bar. There are no visible water drips from any part of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back