Central Heating Problem - Downstairs rads not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had problems with our heating and hot water ie neither worked - have replaced our motorized valve and now we have hot water and rads upstairs are fine, however all downstairs ones are cold (boiler is in the kitchen)

Have tried bleeding them but there is no air in them

What shoul i try next? is it likely to be the pump or something else?

Sponsored Links
also turn off the upstairs rads and see if the downstairs ones then heat up.

If so, balance the system.

When you bleed the rads, what colour is the water that squirts out?

Has it suddenly gone wrong or been like this since you bought the house?

What changes have been made since it last worked properly?

Does the HW cylinder get hotter than necessary?

Basically quite a while (over a year) ago we had the problem we could only have hot water OR heating, my cousin said motorized valve was at fault so showed us how to manually put the heating back on - we have an electric shower so water wasnt a major problem and then over summer havent needed heating

So thought it was about time to get things sorted as its so cold - changed the Sundic SD2701 vavle after a little hiccup with loose wire its all ok, heating and hot water come on together when they are supposed to again

But downstairs radiators near the boiler are stone cold and upstairs are hot as they should be

Have not tried anything yet - so looking for ideas

To check the pump we take the screw out and check its spinning?? should the heating be on or off at the time?

Oh and the first little bit after air was a bit dirty but went clear quickly in the radiators

Sponsored Links
hope you will be able to answer my questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back