Central Heating Pump Problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old boiler (not the one I'm married to). It is a Glow-worm Hideaway 50 and the pump has stopped working regardless of what setting it is on (1,2 or 3). The pipes are red hot up to the pump and we still get hot water but the water is not pumping to the radiators which are stone cold!. Does anyone know a way to fix this or do I need a new pump? If I do need a new pump does anyone know what type I need to buy/order as I don't have a clue and it has no markings/make etc opn it. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
Check for mains voltage on the pump wires, as long as you're safe to do that.
Most pumps are 130mm between the flanges. Can be an easy job but never a good bet.
Old pump isolating valves probably wont work so the system would have to be drained, valves probably replaced, which may be a different length so the pipes change. Sometimes the nuts won't undo even when a weight lifter pulls on a pair of 2ft spanners. Which you usually can't get on the nuts in the first place.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate your quick response. If anyone has any further information I would be really greatful. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
the pump impeller may be jammed. There should be a big screw on the end of the casing which you can undo to bleed the pump. If you remove that screw you will get a bit of leakage, but you should be able to put a big flat ended screw driver into a slot on the end of the shaft and see if the pump impleller rotates freely. If it does or doesn't come free very easily you need a new pump. If it initally feels sticky and then comes free or you feel it unjam, put the screw back in and try the heating again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back