CENTRAL HEATING WONT WORK UNLESS HOT WATER SELECTED

jfk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've got a central heating systom that only operates if the hot water is selected aswell. I think its probably the 3 port valve but would like to no how to test for this and wether it could be anything else?
cheers

Sponsored Links
If your programmer is lighting up for ch and or dhw ok then it will be the valve.

check for 230V from the timer, to the valve. if the valve gets the signal but does not move, you have found the problem most likely

Sponsored Links
With those symtoms it's almost certain the problem lies within the head of the valve. Ie faulty motor or faulty micro switch.
The room stat is clearly working, otherwise you would not get beyond HW.
However there is a slight chance that it could be a wiring problem.
With both HW and CH off there should be 240v on the grey wire.
Also with HW switched on but satisfied the grey should have 240v.
A quick check will eliminate the wiring. Of course you'll need something to check it with! Do you have a multimeter?
Then you can start reading up all about 3 port valves, or you could just change it.
:rolleyes:

check for 230V from the timer, to the valve. if the valve gets the signal but does not move, you have found the problem most likely

Sorry being a fool but how do you mean check for 230v from timer ect

Simple. Anything that is supposed to move when powered, but does not move when it gets 230, is bound to be the failing part

Yes Ben but! You aint told him which wires to check or under what conditions. I'm not surprised he's confused.
Everythings so simple when you know what your doing.
:rolleyes:

i give broad directions on purpose. anyone with a basic understanding will then ask a specific question and will get a specific answer. the rest will not understand and give up. so they should, new controls are cheaper than a funeral

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back