Central heating works, no hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New post from complete amateur so please excuse any mistakes and the rambling post.

I have an old (~10 years) Glow Worm hideaway boiler, controlled by a Danfoss controller. There's a tank with ballcock in the loft (?header tank - told you I'm an amateur) and hot water cyclinder in the bathroom. Don't think there's any motorized valves.

A while ago my father in-law drained down the system to replace a radiator. When refilled/radiators and boiler pump bled the heating worked but hot water didn't. Boiler didn't fire but pump ran when controller switched to hot water only. Following day radiators weren't heating either. Central heating engineer came and replaced gas valve on boiler. Before he left I pointed out boiler still wasn't firing. He adjusted thermostat on boiler AND switched a couple of wires round on the Danfoss controller (an electrician had moved it for us a few weeks before the fault developing). I was a bit unclear as to which bit of what he'd done had fixed it but as everything was working fine didn't question him any further.

Yesterday, my father in-law replaced another radiator. Radiators and boiler pump bled. Again we have no hot water - water flows from the hot water tap, no problem but it's cold. Boiler fires/pump runs for the heating and the radiators heat up - turn the controller onto HW only and the boiler cuts out completely. Pipes around the cylinder are cold.

I'm reluctant to call in a professional again so soon, especially as I wonder if this may be something simple to fix. A similar post on here a couple of years ago suggested an airlock within the hot water cylinder loop - no details as to how to fix it.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Father in-law doesn't have any!

cheers,

Phil

Sponsored Links
Sounds like airlock in a gravity system.. Put just hot water on and remove the boiler thermostat phial from its pocket and let the boiler boil up it will get loud and sound like someone is hitting it with a hammer allow it to boil for 10/20 seconds at a time this should clear it

It's working again. Left the controller switched to hot water only and left it on all afternoon. All's well again.

cheers

Phil

Same thing happened again. This time didn't right itself. Removed thermocouple from phial pocket as described above and now works fine.

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back