ceramic floor tiling problems.help/advice appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve laid ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen 7 days ago.half are ok and half have not stuck at all,the adhesive underneath is as it was in the tub. ie.still wet.
the original flooring is the old brown vinyl tiles the council used to fit years ago.after searching the forums on here I thought it was ok to stick tiles directly to this as long as the original tiles were not loose.
however,I`m not so sure anymore.
I`ve taken up the tiles that weren`t stuck and am now wondering whether to reset them or take the whole lot up and start again (maybe strip right back to the floorboards).
any advice is much appreciated.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
What was the exact make & type of adhesive and are the vinyl tiles on timber or concrete/screed.

Are you sure the tiles are ceramic and not porcelain.

Bit more detail then I can possibly help.

Jason

Jasonb said:
What was the exact make & type of adhesive and are the vinyl tiles on timber or concrete/screed.

Are you sure the tiles are ceramic and not porcelain.

Bit more detail then I can possibly help.

Jason

hi there,
the adhesive is home base tiling adhesive for wooden floors and the tiles are on timber.

cheers,kev.

Unlike the powdered adhesives that set by a chemical reaction when water is added the readymixed adhesives rely on the water evaporating/being absorbed into the tile & substrate. I have used that type of adhesive in the past and found that it needed at least 72hrs to firm up when being used on a porus ply surface. As you are going onto vinyl the drying time will be much longer.

Just had a look on an old empty Unibond "tile on wood" tub and it says it is not suitable for non porus surfaces eg vinyl tiles

If you read the previous posts by me, gcol, moz etc you will see that we suggest specific powdered adhesives if the question of tiling on vinyl crops up and thats if its on a screed/concrete floor. As its on ply I would want to know how thick the ply is, is it structural or just an overlay.

Rip the lot up while the adhesive is still damp and redo it with something like BAL Rapidset Flexible.

Jason

Sponsored Links
thanks for that.
I`m going to take it all up today,and see what I`m left with.
In hindsight would it be wise to board the whole kitchen with ply before trying to relay the tiling?

cheers,kev.

yes ........get the kitchen ply lined .. ;)

Jasonb
Thank God, YOU told him to rip it up , an not me ...lol...lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back