CFL downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, dont shoot me, its the DL word.

I friend has bought a house that tbh looks like someone went round with a DL shotgun and peppered every chuffing room with the things.

the bathroom is small, so we are replacing the adequate 4 with bathroom rated ones, rather than the bog standards in there at the moment letting all the nice steam to the loft :rolleyes:

the kitched however has nearly a Kw in 50W GU10s, so we are looking at options, and costs involved.

looked at CFL replacement lamps, not found any that fit properly in the fittings, now looking at either some proper (ie designed for) CFL downlighters/eyeballs.
other option is rip[ the lot out and re-board the ceiling, and put something proper in there.

Living room is in a similar state, but we have found some CFL lamps that will fit these ok, and can split to 3 circuits, which with the wall lights gives an acceptable solution.

bedrooms are being re-ceilinged and somthing proper going up.
stairs hall, changing lamps for lower wattage (going from 50s to 20s, these are SELV, tranny wil be fine with lower loads)

literally, there is around 6Kw of downlights in the place, felt like a chicken in an oven!!!:cool:

Sponsored Links
other option is rip[ the lot out and re-board the ceiling, and put something proper in there.

There it is Tim.....the answer for the whole house! :LOL:

Dont think that will fit into a GU10 hole ban.

I'd fit LEDs. Expensive ones. Give a few a try - theres some at B&Q at £15 which are pretty good. They are a little dimmer. And cant be dimmed (so they say). But I was impressed with the light output for 3 watts.

If you want, just replace the halogens with LEDs as they blow.

Sponsored Links
cheers,

Had another think, and hes contemplating a drop section in the centre of the kitchen, which would cover most of the unwanted holes, this would house a cooker hood type thing, the hob would be in the centre island.

we could then use indirect lighting in the sides of this, and fit LEDs in the remaining D/L which would be in a pretty good position to light surfaces.

Ill still have a look at those CFL ones, they might work quite well in the drop section to light the island, though might go for the single lamp ones, any one know what the spread/beam angle is from those?

Yes its excellent. I have two of the 2x13w fittings. Very bright light, excellent for a kitchen.

Instant start and flicker free. And cheap for the quality!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back