CFL lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at most of the posts it looks like cfl lighting is brighter, low energy and has a wider dispersion.
I've looked at the Fireguard 9w Energy Saving Downlight - Chrome at

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD9C.html

As its flameguard does it still need a box above it in an insulated kitchen ceiling? What cables should I use, heat resisitant etc?

Sponsored Links
I have experimented with a few downlighters and have some Megaman 11W downlighters as well as various halogens. IMO TLC have a typo on that page. A 9W CFL is about as bright as a 40W INCANDESCENT lamp, not a 40W halogen (I have never seen a halogen in that rating anyway).

I'm not sure about wider dispersion as the CFL is in a GU10 package the same as a halogen, so the reflector is the same shape. However the FL itself does come very close to the glass so maybe the cone is a bit wider. I can't say I noticed a big difference.

I like the light from CFLs. It seems softer than that from a halogen.

The downside is that they take a minute or two to warm up and get to full brightness, plus they cannot be dimmed in the SAME way as halogens. Megaman do a different method of dimming and maybe that will suit some people.

I strongly recommend that you buy one of the lamps you are thinking of and see it for yourself before committing to a project.

Those Fireguard fittings are excellent. CFLs get hot at the lens, but not at the top. I'm not sure what the space recommendation is, but I'd be surprised if you can't just put insulation directly over them. You should be OK with normal T&E cable.

Megaman now do a dimmable (by dimmer, not switch) 11W CFL GU10 replacement lamp

Hurrah!

Sponsored Links
I'd be surprised if you can't just put insulation directly over them. You should be OK with normal T&E cable.

Mmmmmm, id like to think otherwise.......

Most spots are GU10 bulbs so changing them to CFL or EQI bulbs, im sure building control would have thier say about fire regulations.... Something along the lines of the Fitting requires the clearence and not the bulbs....

Wouldnt mind hearing an experts opinion on this tho....

If its a fitting designed for CFLs, like the nasty plastic ones, these cannot accept halogens.

If it takes ES or SES CFLs then it will take ES or SES halogens.

If it takes BC or SBC CFLs then it will take BC or SBC halogens.

It might catch fire, but it will take them.

DISCLAIMER - does the term "CFL" ever mean anything other than lamps with integral ballasts designed to go into normal incandescent luminaires?

DISCLAIMER - does the term "CFL" ever mean anything other than lamps with integral ballasts designed to go into normal incandescent luminaires?

yes,it could be a pl type lamp to go into dedicated energy saver pendants.

why do i get the feeling i missed something :rolleyes:

And TC-DEL, TC-TEL etc...

OK - it just means "small", then, not "integrated".

I won't ask how long a T4 tube has to get before it's no longer "compact"....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back