CH Not starting but coming on very intermitently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys/Girls - first post on this forum but not last as I've just moved into my first home.

I had a disaster the other day as the CH stopped working although I'm unable to work out the cause - at the time we had sky broadband installed, a power cut to the house and obviously lots of snow. I came home later and the CH refused to turn on.

I've got a Salus RF thermostat which is calling for heat correctly - I've checked the receiver and the green light is on.

The iflo programmer is set to 'once' and has a red light - I'm not sure if this is correct as the previous owners didn't leave a manual.

The boiler is a potterton promax 24 sl and it isn't responding to pressing restart or anything. To make it more interesting every so other it turns on for 15-30mins and then turns off again. We have tried pressing the restart button/powering off/on for the boiler but its not working.

Any ideas as to what's caused this and how to fix this issue! Thanks for reading![/b]

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a forum search?

I vaguely think I have seen that fault described but cannot remember the cause!

The green light on the reciever is just telling you that it's got power to it.
The power cut you had has stopped the communication between it and the rf stat. You need to go through the reset proceedure to get them talking again.

Hi both, yep trying everything I've found on the forum so far but no luck.

The receiver has two lights on it . Red which is on all the time which I thought was the power and then a green light which comes on when I call for heat using the thermostat. So I maybe confused by the green light.

Sponsored Links
The green light on the reciever is just telling you that it's got power to it.
The power cut you had has stopped the communication between it and the rf stat. You need to go through the reset proceedure to get them talking again.

The one I have Sooey the red light means mains power present and the green on means signal received for demand from stat, might be different on different models which model do you have OP

The RF receiver could have become faulty!

If competent then bypass the receiver output to the boiler stat connections and see if it powers the boiler!

Tony

Whatever, it will still be a communication issue after a power cut. If he takes the back off the roomstat there should be two buttons, and a couple on the reciever which need playing around with.

Hi I've had a look through and its definitely asking for heat from the receiver and i can here the click when the green light comes on.

Another cold night and more confusion- at around 11pm the heating comes on for 30 mins after getting no response all night testing it and trying to restart the boiler etc.

Im not sure if it is the thermostat receiver that is dodgey and not asking for heat properly even thoguh it's lgihting up or if it's just a general issue with the electrics as they are 30 years old.

Maybe time to not diy :)

Just an update to the post as we cracked and got someone into fix it.

I tried bypassing the thermostat at the receiver by linking the wires but this didn't work so we called British Gas

Their guy just left here and it was a fault with the actuator not turning all the way on and only worked when the hot water was running which explains the intermittent running.

The gas man was not happy with me fiddling with the thermostat.

You can't beat a fully trained BG man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back