CH without HW heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current house about a year ago, and I'm finally getting round to working out why my central heating won't come on without the hot water heating on. The system is pumped with a mid position three port valve controlling what is being heated, so as I understand it there is no technical reason why I couldn't just have the CH on. We barely use any hot water from the tank, so it seems a complete waste to be heating 100-odd litres of water every day.

I think I have got to the bottom of why the mid-position valve won't allow CH only now. There is a wire missing from the programmer to the junction box, shown on this diagram from "HW OFF" to terminal 7
512px-Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

Its wired with two twin-and-earth cables so I'm one wire short.

Now my first question is: Is there a technical reason why the system would be installed like this? I suspect it is simply a case of the system was upgraded at some point in the past and this wiring was never replaced, but I don't want to go to the effort of resolving this if it's still not going to work.

My second question is can I resolve this without running a new cable? To do this would mean a lot of work to do a proper job, and its probably not worth the hassle if this is the only option. It would be easier to convert the system to the "s plan" setup which doesn't require that extra wire.

As I understand it, the programmer logic is if HW is on, the "HW ON" wire is live, if its programmed to off, the "HW OFF" wire is live. They're never both on simutaneously. If this is the case could I use a relay with the "HW ON" wire and the permanent live supply to terminal 1 - so when "HW ON" is off, the relay is switched to power terminal 7. I hope that makes sense! I'll draw a diagram if its not.

Sponsored Links
In the absence of a wire from the programmer HW off, your idea to use a relay should be fine.

The original wiring was simply wrong for a mid position valve setup.

Your relay solves your second question

240 volt SPST , any decent electrical outlet will stock them.

Sponsored Links
I think I got one from Maplins last time I sourced a suitable 230V relay with adequate amps rating

3 amps so not an issue , check you are given a 240 volt and not a 24 volt , been caught out before.

I'm pretty sure its 240V but I will double check what I'm working with before I buy anything. Its definitely all running off a 3A fuse.

SPST-NC relays seem to be hard to come by, certainly ones that can handle 240v / 3A, so I'll have to use a DPST relay and only use one terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back