Changes to Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got my planning and Building approval about 3 years ago for a rear extension and loft conversion, as the project started with the rear extension I have only just started the loft. The Regs changed in Feb 2007 and I would prefer to go with the newer loft regs for escape and fire protection. Some aspects make sense like no requirement for an escape window with a protected safe exit route. Interestingly you have to have fire doors to the protected route but no longer need door closers. I achieve the modified 30 minute protection to floors and wall. If I go to the Building Control will for advice will they will hold me to the new regs? I don't want the expense and low position of an escape window if the fire brigade cannot get ladders up anyway, which is what the regs imply. My approval seems to be mixture of the two (2005) with escape window, protected route, closers etc.

Sponsored Links
You would have to have not started the loft part of the work, complete the extension and get a completion certificate, and then reapply for the loft conversion with amended plans.

You could try and ask formally for a relaxation of the older regulations for the loft, but its dobtful if the BC office will agree

Thanks Woody for your advice, andalso on the 1/2h fire protection of my ceiling. I'll give the BC a call, it makes sense togo with the latest regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back