Changing 15mm Radiator pipes to 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a quick question - Currently in my lounge I have a radiator mounted on the wall with 15mm copper pipe going to it, the pipe runs along the skirting board, My wife wants to hide the pipes (without boxing it in) as they look unsightly. I was wondering if the radiator would still work as well if I switched the pipe to 10 mm plastic pipe and channelled the plastic pipe in the wall.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Colin

Sponsored Links
Should be fine, will just take a little longer to warm up. Make sure to use barrier pipe though and no fittings are left buried.

Hi
thanks for the reply, can I use standard 10mm compression ftittng radiator valves with the 10mm plastic barrier pipe or do I need special valves?

thanks

Colin

Yes you can, but make sure you use an insert though and use a copper olive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info
I presume I can just use the standard 10mm plastic pipe liners to go inside the platisc pipe that will connect to the radiator valve compression fitting?

Colin

Yeah that will be fine, for more piece of mind though you can get SS or copper inserts but not necessary.

I am wanting to do the exact same in my house only I want to do it to 3 radiators. Now would all 3 still get hot in 10mm?

I am wanting to do the exact same in my house only I want to do it to 3 radiators. Now would all 3 still get hot in 10mm?

Will you be T'ing off the 22/28mm common F/R or 15mm F/R from another rad? If off the common you will be fine if off an existing rad adding 3 more rads off that last rad could be too much.

I'm not actually wanting to tee off any radiators, I'm wanting to reduce the pipework size so I can chase it into the wall. But I want to do it to 3 radiators and re-plaster.

I'm not actually wanting to tee off any radiators, I'm wanting to reduce the pipework size so I can chase it into the wall. But I want to do it to 3 radiators and re-plaster.

As long as all of the microbore pipework comes from a single good source (eg 22mm pipework, or at a push 15mm if it's not feeding any other radiators) this sounds reasonable to me.

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back