Changing a 2-port valve to a 3-port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'day Folks - just moved house, and our new abode has a 70's vintage CH/HW system (although the boiler is only around 7yrs old)

At the moment there is one 2-port valve installed which allows the HW only to be fed, or both the HW and CH to be fed simultaneously. There is no way to have just the CH on independently. I am sure of this for two reasons:

1 - I have scoured the house for a second two way valve with no success.
2 - when you try to select CH only on the programmer, both the CH & HW lights come on.

Anyway, what I would like to do as an interim improvement (can't afford to stump up for a shiny new boiler yet) is to replace the 2-port valve with a three port valve. Obviously it would require a rethink on the wiring, but hopefully that won't be too much of a drama.

Anyway, cut to the chase, is this as straightforward as it seems?

Sponsored Links
It might require a rethink on the plumbing as well

Sponsored Links
I've attached a schematic to explain things.....

At the moment the boiler will always circulate through the HW cylinder. If I select CH.

Far easier to just put another 2 port on flow to cylinder after it tees off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back