Changing a 2 way light switch

Hi MelEMck,

When you have sorted this out you will also need to connect the Earth wires from the backbox to the new switch as it is metal.

Regards,
Huggybear.

Sponsored Links
In the two way switch yes, in the on/off switch no.
not 2 way

OP shows 2* 1 way

It looks to me to be 4 T&E: loop in, loop out, living room light, kitchen light. Your diagnosis is on the right track, I'll leave you to it.

Last edited:
Tittle says "Changing a 2 way light switch" I could also not see how it ever worked as a two way switch.
Agreed, OP replaced original switch with a 2G version and describes
...When I’ve put the new one in, one switch is giving light to two lights, turning off one, or switching over to give light to living room or just kitchen.

I don't recognise the original switch but what I believe I see is 2 coms (for want of any other title) circled white containing a dark terminal and 2 wires each,
2 L1's (for want of any other title) containing a dark terminal and one wire each, arrowed yellow (kitchen?) and green (living room?),
6 empty holes showing the white switchplate
1708257233584.png

Additionally I see 4 blue wires in choc bloc which I take to be neutral.

Sponsored Links
With 4 unmarked wires it still needs a tester of some sort to work out which is line in, (which would have been one of the wires with the link) by trial and error he can then work out which is the line out to each lamp, and the remaining wire will need to go to permanent line in presumably to feed other lights in the house.

And more important fit the earth wire.

With 4 unmarked wires it still needs a tester of some sort to work out which is line in, (which would have been one of the wires with the link) by trial and error he can then work out which is the line out to each lamp, and the remaining wire will need to go to permanent line in presumably to feed other lights in the house.
Yes that is correct And I saw your diagnostics were on the right track. I felt it best to mention it's 2gang, not 2way.
EDIT: A quick recap on the thread I see Random has also pointed this out.
I don't want to confuse OP with several recommendations so I'll leave it with you Eric.
And more important fit the earth wire.
Yes that is also very correct advice.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back