Changing a double switch to a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum so be gentle please.
I am trying to change an existing two switch wall switch to a two switch dimmer switch.
Each switch on the old switch controls one light in the ceiling in the living room.
On the top of the existing switch I have a red wire that joins the Com and L1 connections with another red wire going into the L1 connection on the top.
On the bootom of the existing switch I have a red wire going into the L1 connection and a yellow wire going into the Com connection.

In the metal box in the wall the black and blue wires are joined together with a plastic cable block.

The new dimmer switch has L1 L2 and Com on both switches.

Any ideas how I would go about wiring up the new dimmer switch.

I have tried connecting the new dimmer in the same way as the old switch but lights do not work when I try them.

Any help would be appreciated

Ps I can download a picture if that is of any help
Image016.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
would it work if i was to join the two coms together with a red wire as opposed to the top L1 and com? Leaving the individual red wires going to the top L1 and the to the bottom L1?

Just used Photoshop to try & make a little more clarity & reduce the image size.

BackOfSwitch.jpg

Let's get this straight: you have a 2 gang switch that controls one light on each gang, with no other switches controlling the same lights?

Was the old switch working correctly?

If they are both wired as one way switches, then it should not matter if you use the L1 as feed or Common as feed. A one way switch only links L1 & common together.

You need to ascertain the live feed to the switch. that connects to one common & loops across to the other. The remaining two conductors are switch wires. You can easily determine which is which. These go to the L1 terminals (one each!)

no just two normal bulbs on two individual ceiling roses in the living room. Looks like if the yellow wire is the live feed then I neeed to keep that connected to common on one of the modules and link it with a wire to the other common on the other module. The two red wires then connect to each of the L1 connections and the earth to the earth. The blue and black wire are not connected to the original switch and are joined together be a cable block on the back of the metal switch box.

Judging by the picture you posted the yellow wire is one of the switched live wires. I'm thinking you have a supply cable i.e. a red/black twin and earth and the cable up to the lights 3core+earth? As you say the blue/black are joined together in terminal block I'd go for the red wire from the red/black twin and earth cable is permanent live. This permanent live red goes to com and loops to the other com. The red wire from the 3c+e goes to L1 on one dimmer and the yellow goes to L1 on the other dimmer.

Ok thanks for the help have wired in the dimmer and it now works ok.

The only thing that I now have is a case of both light lights flickering when the dimmer switches are turned to certain positions.

This seems to happen about half way and when they are both turned on to full.

Anyway suggestions would be appreciated.

No I don't think so. Connected them as you said above. Would it matter if I tried them the other way round. don't want to blow anything up!

Ok so all sorted out now. The wiring was ok, but had 40w bulbs in both lamps and the dimmer only worked with 60w and above. never realised there was minimum wattage bulb that could be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back