Changing a normal pillar tap washer-please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can any plumbers help me? I am loosing my patience! I am trying to do the simplest of jobs - change a washing on a dripping bathroom tap.

It is a pillar tap - the hot side. Obviously the washer needs replacing. I know how to do this and have the taps off again, for about the third time in 2 days. The problem is the washers I buy do not fit properley (for some odd reason), and are not exactly the same size/thickness as the original one in the tap. If I leave one in that is slightly smaller/thicker, etc, will it make much difference over time?

I thought washers were standard sizes, as wc siphons and float valves, etc all are.

I have bought 1/2" tantofex washers, 3/8" washers, fairline washers, all from a diy store. They all looked fairly similar and I thought one of them would be the correct size! Surely one of these should fit? My tap is just a normal, standard pillar tap.

Any help would be greatful and I have probably missed something so simple. Hopefully someone can help me here?

Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
I assume the washer is a flat disc with a hole in the middle. Slightly thicker should not be a problem. Try using one with a slightly bigger diameter and buff it down to the correct diameter rather than use a smaller one.

Sponsored Links
yes they are jus the normal hard rubber black tap washers! unbelievable! Maybe i should buy a whole set and surely one will match!! or big bigger? should i cut it up using a pair of scissors? Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back