Changing CH - Have I missed anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing a coal fired system to oil fired. Below is my list of things to watch. Anything missing?

New oil fired kitchen boiler via new pipes to HW cylinder cupboard. Safety valve near boiler flow. 22mm pipes with generous slope to HW water tank cupboard (about a 2.5m run). Then T to overflow pipe in flow. Then T to feed looped to feed from underneath.

Then bend to pump with isolation ball valves. Pump mounted vertically (shaft horizontal), pumping up. Bend to take flow horizontal again then to automatic bypass valve to return and 3 way valve.

Down from 3 way to radiators. Up from valve to HW cylinder indirect loop via manual valve to adjust flow speed. Manual vent from highest point (perhaps pipe to overflow with valve?).

HW take off should go horizontal before going up to overflow to stop thermal cycling.

Boiler to HW tank pipes should be insulated for summer running (i.e. HW only).

Flush and cleanse system prior to new boiler. After fitting new boiler flush with pump replaced with pipe. Fit pump flush with clenser. Flush. Add inhibitor.

Rads must have TRVs (which they have). Must have time clock and thermostat in room and for cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Should have approval document from building control.:D

OK. I know that. I just didn't put down ;)

Submit plans to BC for new oil tank installation and balanced flue installation. Follow OFTEC guidelines as to fire barriers and house openings etc.

Get certificate from BC. Employ OFTEC registered man to commission oil boiler. Repeat for next 5 years at least to meet oil boiler warantty conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back