Changing from gas fire to open fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all - once again I am after some advice from you all!

We have had a gas fire for a while which has now been taken out and capped off by a proper gas chap.

I remember many years ago there being an open fire in there (used to be my nans house) so thought I would open the fireplace up a bit to see if I could go back to it.

After taking out some cement and all its a fairly big square hole.

This is where I need some advice:

1. There is no register plate in the flue - do I need one for an open fire, I know I do for a stove type thing?

2. Will I need to get the chimney lined - house was built in 1950 (I think) and has some sort of lining (lime cement?) and there is no debris at the bottom.

3. In the actual fireplace, do I need anything special to tidy the bricks up - I am thinking of getting some black slate tiles (12x12) and cementing them to the brickwork that is already there.

4. The only thing I am worried about is 3 bricks on each side that have just been put in there (no cement unless is broken away) holding up a concrete lintel type thing across the width of the fireplace. This concrete lintel is led at an angle of about 30 degrees. Can I take all of this out, or would it be better to mix up some cement and make it all more stable?

I had a smoke bomb thing and lit it where the fire would be and the draw is top notch, no smoke in the rooms the flue goes through or in the loft - this is why I asked about a register plate.

Thanks in advance for any advice, if pictures are needed I can try and get in there with a camera!

Forgot to say - I will be getting someone in to check it all after I have done the work, just didn't fancy paying through the nose for the things I could do (like taking bricks etc out!)

Ryan

Sponsored Links
First thing to do would be get a sweep in to advise; if you still have queries afterwards then come back....

Cheers for that - got a sweep in today who gave the chimney a good clean, said the lining was fine and the draw was fine.

I just have to find a fire back (same as a fire chair?) and cement in place with some ready made cement mixed with soft sand behind it all.

Any ideas where to get the fire backs - have found a couple of places but thought I would ask to see if there is somewhere popular you guys recommend.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back