Changing plug top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently i encountered a case where the plug top was burned on the live pin. They changed the plug top to a costlier one with same fuse amps and the problem doesnt occur again. I wonder if this really solves the problem regardless if there is actually problem with the equip or supply or if this worked by chance and most likely will happen again.

Yor opinion please.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Usually this sort of thing is caused by the combination of a heavy load and a bad contact. The bad contact gets hot which weakens the metal which makes the contact even worse which causes it to get even hotter.

When this sort of thing happens you should
1: replace both the plug and socket with a good quality brand. It is important to replace both plug and socket as if one has been heat damagd the other probabbly has too
2: review the appropriateness of the plug/socket type in use. Obviously if the load is too high for the rating of the plug and socket type it should be changed to something more appropriate. Further I would say that domestic plugs and sockets at least the UK ones running at thier full 13A are only really suitable for intermittent use. Note that changing the plug and socket type may require changes to the fixed wiring for it to remain compliant (especially if you are in a country that uses the british ring main/fused plug system for domestic sockets).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back