Changing radiator TRV valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to change a faulty radiator TRV valve, with the same make of valve. Would i be able to use the existing 15mm compression olive? or will i have to cut the pipework to replace the olive? There may not be any slack in the pipework under the floor boards to pull up,whitch will mean the pipework will have to be extended making it a bigger job. I know i can put a wrap of PTFE tape around the olive,but will it last and is it normal good practice.
Any help appreciated. Gary.

Sponsored Links
Re-using the existing nuts and olives is fine, as long as they're in good condition and have the same thread (most do).

You may find that they do not seat quite as well as a new olive would. This can be cured with a wrap of ptfe as you suggested - round the olive not the thread! Also a smear of water hawk or similar would do, and this would be my preference. Don't do the nut up too tightly.

In practice I've found that they usually seal ok without any special measures, but don't tip your inhibitor in until you've confirmed it's all water-tight.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice and tips you have given to complete the job.
Best wishes. Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back