Chattering check valve on sencodary return

It's possibly an anti gravity valve that was fitted before you converted to S-Plan
as doitall says, it shouldn't be req now so take it out

Matt

Sponsored Links
So i took the check valve out (which was a nightmare job due to accessibility) and the chattering has gone.

The system is super quiet!

I'm also really pleased with the alpha2/taconova flow setter combo. It works very well although the flowsetter doesn't close during CH operation as it's essentially a gate valve. The flow through the flow setter during operation is 4 litres per minute and 5.5litres during overrun.

I bought the pump in haste and bought the alpha2L inadvertently! I am a bit gutted is the alpha 2 has an auto detect feature. :cry:

One more thing. I have just learnt that there is a presetting tool for balancing trv valves thus allowing free use of the thermostatic dial without messing up the balancing. I also read that the trv is historically placed on the flow and not e return but this is less critical with trv4's bidirectional design.

My question is that surely it's better on the return as this will allow a free flow of water before reducing flow when temperature is reached. Surely radiators will heat up quicker if it's placed on the return?

I'm probably stretching this thread subject a little too far but i wanted the opinion of those who have supported me thus far and wanted also to thank you all for your invaluable guidance.

The TRV's are better on the flow.

Balancing is with the lockshield valve.

As the TRV's start to close with room temperature, the pressure differential across the radiators increases, the auto by-pass should then start to open to keep things quite. The Alpha pump does the same job.

Do the trv's not close with the temperature of the water, not the room?

Also, trv4's dont come with lockshield valves. They come with two push valves allowing you to place the thermostatic dial at either end without having to do any replumbing.

The drayton pushvalves have a build in quasi lockshield valve which is adjusted using a special tool. Interesting that there is no mention of this feature on the packaging and only two retails (as far as i could see) sell this tool. The telling feature are four whole on the top surface of the push valve, around the pin.

Sponsored Links
TRV's close start to close on room set temperature.

You still need a lockshield valve on the other end.

Having spoke to both drayton and grunfos tecnical support teams it has been confirmed to me that TRV's do not control the room temperature, rather they control the flow temperature of the water throught the rad.

For this reason Drayton are now of the opinion that it is better to place the Trv's on the return side of the rad thus more acurately keeping the rad at the desired temperature.

Room temperature would only be controlled indirectly i.e when the room heats the covection reduces and the water in the rad stays hotter and therefor the trv closes to compensate.

The belief a trv controls responds to room temperature is a myth!

In the case of the drayton trv4, the valves are sold in pairs with only one dial. For this reason no lockshield valve is required and balancing can be done on either end using a presetting tool which setts the maximum flow unalterable without the tool.

The TRV controls the room temperature.

And I don't care what Grundfos technical or Drayton tell you. :rolleyes:

If you want to get all technical.

The Head (sensor) controls the room temperature, by opening and closing the valve, which varies the flow of water through the valve body.

Without the sensor, which can be attached to the valve or remote, the valve just sits there fully open.

Called drayton back. Bloke i spoke to before was a trainee and got his facts wrong. I bow to your greater knowledge.

Does the radiating heat from the rad not interfere with the trv?

Yes, but it's included in the calibrations.

You're not talking an exact science here, depending on the room etc, a setting of 3, could be 20c in one room and 24 in another.

You set them to suit, maybe with the aid of a thermometer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back