Cheap carpet & underlay tape question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm after carpeting the whole first floor of my house to finish a recent re-furb. I'm trying to get the best value possible and my budget is on the tight side.

I'm looking at something like

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170485181790&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Does anyone have any experience with carpet like this? I'm wondering how much this carpet might be from a shop

Second question to you kind folk, is there anything special about underlay tape or would joint / duct tape be any good?

Thanks in advance

CoXen[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
How is that going to work?

do you know how much you need? if not how do you know how much to buy? How will it be delivered and at what extra cost - not many vans will take a 5m carpet so expect a large delivery charge

I am in the trade and that advert rings bigben type alarm bells it has so little info and was clearly written by someone with little knowledge of the product

Please, please, please - go to at least one local independant retailers and see what they have to offer, if you are looking at adverts like that then your knowledge is sparce ( usually resulting in getting ripped off)

.....talk to the sales assistant and ask questions. Then go to another shop and ask the same questions. You will soon start to understand what your options are and be able to decide what you are looking for

Thank you for your response.

I've had a messure out the carpeted area will be just over 40sq. However, as I need a whole roll I've been looking at two rolls equaling 12*5m. The second roll will be cut to the length of the 1st bedroom, 4*5m and the second roll will be the length of the rest of the house. I know there is a lot of off cut waste but I'm being charged for that waste which every way I look at it.

The delivery charge for both roles is £28 quid from seller to site next day del.

I've had a local guy measure up already but unfortunately what he was offering was out of my budget so I'm looking at the alternatives. I went and saw a second small firm with a little more knowledge.

I'm trying to find a solution to getting this carpet done that fits into my budget

The product looks very similar to what I liked when I had a guy come round. I understand everyone is trying to make a living I'm trying to save where I can due to budget restraints.

You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on carpets first carpet purchase made.

Thanks

James

This carpet is generally retailed at about £12 per m². If you have a factory remnant outlet near you, give them a visit because my local one sells it for half that price.

Berber is usually hard wearing, if thats what you are looking for, but can feel quite rough under bare feet. It also looks quite thin in the image in your link, so would require a decent quality underlay.

When it comes to tape, no fitter has ever used any in my house so I just use plain old masking tape when it's time to change carpets. Seems to do the job!

Sponsored Links
I bought 40m of exactly that 4 months ago. I have also bought something similar from a local retailer. The backing has a slightly more open weave and the wool loops are slightly more spaced apart. The loops flatten quicker but if you use an underlay and dont go looking for the tiniest hint of backing in the right light, then for the money, you cant go wrong 10 /10. :D

You hit the nail on the head there meadowhog....

if it looks cheap then it is ....well ...cheap

...trouble is when buying carpet you have two choices

...buy cheap and change every couple of years

...or stretch the budget and get 8 - 12 years

In my opinion ( as a retailer) cheap wool looppile carpets are not worth the money - they "pil" like mad (- they produce HUGE amounts of fluff) - They flatten really quickly - and they stain really quickly
---If your budget is very tight can I suggest you look at the polypropylene looppile carpets - they are not particularly soft to touch but they are really hard wearing and you can bleach clean them (landlords love em!!!)

You maybe right Lymmranger, but the expensive 90% wool berber I have had for 4 years needs changing due the two kids I have.

You have to make a decision based on circumstances and one of them is price. I would say one is not 3 times better even though its 3 times more expensive.

NB It does not look cheap :rolleyes:

You maybe right Lymmranger, but the expensive 90% wool berber I have had for 4 years needs changing due the two kids I have.

You have to make a decision based on circumstances and one of them is price. I would say one is not 3 times better even though its 3 times more expensive.

NB It does not look cheap :rolleyes:

^^^^ I agree

You hit the nail on the head there meadowhog....

if it looks cheap then it is ....well ...cheap

...trouble is when buying carpet you have two choices

...buy cheap and change every couple of years

...or stretch the budget and get 8 - 12 years

In my opinion ( as a retailer) cheap wool looppile carpets are not worth the money - they "pil" like mad (- they produce HUGE amounts of fluff) - They flatten really quickly - and they stain really quickly
---If your budget is very tight can I suggest you look at the polypropylene looppile carpets - they are not particularly soft to touch but they are really hard wearing and you can bleach clean them (landlords love em!!!)

I went for a polypropylene looppile carpets in the end. When I saw it as a sample was a little be worried about how it might come out. Its now been down for two weeks and I'm pleased. I payed £7 a meter so I'm not sure if thats good or not but overall I'm happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back