Check my quote please? Roofer

Sponsored Links
I phoned the Trading Standards Helpline and told them the facts

Listen, just put it down to a bad experience and pay the man. Roofers talk to other roofers, no one will visit if they know you are a pain and you'll end up getting someone out of area or a national firm who will charge a fortune.

I'm not saying it's your fault. It's just 180 quid, were not talking about a 20k roof dispute here.

Just put it down to a bad experience. Recommendation is the best, ask friends and family for your next roofer. :)

Sponsored Links
Well, if the roofer went ahead without giving you a price for the work (verbal or otherwise) then he has opened himself up to the possibility of not being paid the full amount he expected.

I don't see a problem with you not paying the invoice in full, after all it is his fault for not agreeing a price with you beforehand. He really should have done what I and most of the other traders in this country do - look at the job and supply the customer with a written quote and only go ahead with the work when there is an agreement on price.

FYI the trader doesn't need to provide a written quote if the work is urgent (ie leaking roof) and you instruct him to carry out the work and bill you afterwards (ie waive your rights to a written quote). But as you didn't instruct him to do the work, you don't have to pay the full bill if it's unreasonable.

It looks like you have saved a few quid and the trader has lost a wee bit.

No big deal here, we are talking pennies really.

On a side note, perhaps the OP could have a read of this page and perhaps explain why she feels £180 is excessive? -
http://quotationcheck.com/dissecting-a-quotation/

Maybe this should be a lesson for both of you? The homeowner should always be firm with the trader and make it perfectly clear that no work should carried out and only a free written quote is required at this time. The trader should not go ahead with any work until a quote has been delivered and accepted.

The trader has lost a bit of money but the homeowner has had to deal with the stress of seeking legal advice an spending time posting questions on help forums etc so both have lost out really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back