Chimey Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chimney Problem - can old pointing affect a flue liner?

My neighbour had a smoke test done on his chimney the guy said smoke wasn't coming through as expected suggesting the chimney atop the roof needs repair.

The pot needs replacing (you can see it's tilted and damaged) but he had someone come round who reckons the whole thing needs re pointing involving scaffolding etc. I'm puzzled because he has a woodburner with a liner put in less than 2 yrs ago!

Surely one of the points of having a flue liner is to get around issues such as porous pointing, in my opinion the pointing looks sound the flashing is solid so I'm wondering if he's being taken for a ride.

We share a party wall, his fireplace abacks mine and whilst my gas fire works fine and the chimney passed the smoke test on installation 12 months ago he's asking would I share the cost as repointing the whole thing benefits my side.

I reckon a bit of broken pot has fallen in the liner causing the problem but I'm not good with heights so I'm not going up.

He's a good lad but a bit dim.

Sponsored Links
If your neighbour has a woodburner with liner then at the top of the chimney the liner might have a pot hanger. If there is nothing above the chimney pot then its probably a clamp and top plate. If the pot is tilted then it sounds like the brickwork has collapsed. This needs sorting.
Have you each got 2 chimney pots?
Sometimes you can see into next doors stack at the top of a chimney. The mortar can be just like dust.
Consider getting your chimney tested.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back