Chimney Advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a house that has been empty for a few years. When we looked around we saw the house had a new roof but there was some water ingress near the chimney which we though might be the flashing not done correctly around the chimney stack. The leak was not too terrible but when we stayed in the house over the new year with the wind and rain it started dripping.

We had a roofing guy arrive on Saturday. He looked at the leak and then went outside and stood looking at the roof without even going in the loft and said the issue was the chimney. We were told we could take it down or have it rebuild. Now I find this a little odd as the leak only seemed to be worse recently so was wondering if it could possibly be blocked with a nest causing issues with the little drain hole you have near the lead shelf.

We saw a bird sat on 1 of the pots looking inside as though he was going to go in. I was wondering if it was worth getting a chimney sweep in to rod the chimney or am I wasting my time and money.

Any advise here would be good

Thanks

Glenn

Sponsored Links
See my post at 11:09 today ref: "Damp bedroom wall".

AAMOI: all flues need to be swept and smoke tested. Hit and miss vents can be installed below, and bird and weather proof venting terminals on the stack/pots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back