chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not about to undertake this task but I would like to know how its done because I need to give some advice to friends of ours in order for them to decide whether it is worth going on with this aspect of their kitchen project.

They have in their kitchen a partially removed chimney breast, say about two thirds of it up the wall, it measures about 1metre by 300mm deep and is in the shape of the V sign as you look at it. It appears that the whole breast all the way up to the chimney pots is being supported by a 80mm thick by 500mm wide lump of concrete which is counterbalanced through the internal and external brickwork of the house at the bottom of the V. Whilst to my mind this seems insufficient, it hasn't as yet collapsed.

Anyway, they want this last third removed, and what I do not understand is this, how can you support three floors of cnimney breast whilst fitting an RSJ and Gallows Brackets?

Sponsored Links
Chimney breasts are keyed in all the way up. How many times have you seen WW2 blitz pictures with chimney breasts hanging to walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back