CHIMNEY CAPPING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old victorian house that has a history of damp. Water is seeping down the chimney breast in bad weather and causing dampness on the chimney breast in a bedroom. The chimney has no pots. Is it bad to just slab it or should I get a square cover to prevent the rainwater but ensure ventilation? What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Best to allow the chimney to ventilate if you possibly can - there are terracotta and other designs of terminals available for this.....they are solid on the top but have vent holes on the side.
Are you sure the ingress of water isn't due to faulty flashings or pointing on the existing chimney stack?
John :)

Fit some Bird/Rain Guard cowls, they have capped tops to stop rain and wire sides, to allow ventilation.
If the openings are blocked inside you need air bricks installed to allow ventilation.
As Burnerman said, while your up there, check flaunching, pointing, all lead work ie, flashings, front and back aprons, check for any missing or broken slates/tiles.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find it's water vapour from the house condensing in the cold chimney not water from above. There are millions of houses with open pots that aren't getting any bother.

:mrgreen: Yes Condensing can be part of the problem. I think it is multiple problems, some minimal, all adding up.

Four storeys with tanked cellar. The damp can come up the chimney, the only place possible! But dampness is only shown in the 1st storey bedroom. I certainly do not want to block off any exit for ventilation.

Ritamarie

So whats on the top of the chimney stack now.....flaunching with holes where the pots were? The Colt range of chimney tops will fit within the holes if the flaunching is good.
If there is mould visible on the chimney breast inside the top floor room, that sure is damp.....if its not a top storey room then condensation is the issue, it seems.
John :)

If open chimneys were a problem - we wouldn't have built 20 million of them.

It's condensation every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back