Chimney cooker extractor <150mm depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks we have a range cooker set into the base of the chimney and it is capped off with plasterboard, behind it 1approx 150mm away from the lower side of the plasterboard are some steels.

We need to fit an extractor fan in this gap, there is only about an inch gap when the cooker glass lid is lifted so it needs to be quite flush, also only having about 150mm max depth.

I am struggling to find one so if anyone can suggest where I might find one it would be appreciated.

Or an alternative suggestion?
Perhaps a window fan etc.

Electric supply is not a problem.

We need to extract the steam from cooking and it has worked in the chimney previously however during redecoration the old broken one was thrown away and we could not find a replacement - we now realise that we need this.

Cheers,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming the range is not fossil fuel using the chimney.

If that is the case then the chimney should be vented in which case an extractor should be piped all the way up the chimney.

Gas cooker, it has a cowl at the top.

It has been fine for many years doing the job without piping all the way up - why would we need it?

Gas cooker, it has a cowl at the top.
That will/should be piped all the way up and the rest of the chimney should be vented but may be capped.

It has been fine for many years doing the job without piping all the way up - why would we need it?
Because the chimney itself should be vented at the top and bottom to keep it dry.

If the fan you have been using did not close and it is vented at the top then it may be alright but you should not just pump water vapour into an inglenook chimney with such a small flow rate.

Sponsored Links
OK, but I am still stuck finding an actual fan to do the job.

What surface are will the fan be covering, depending on this you have options of either a visor type hood or a low profile chimney hood as per links: http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/l/visor_cooker_hoods/1/3-7
http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/p...imney-Cooker-Hood-Stainless-Steel-16932.aspx,
There are quite a few variations of these type of hoods and your requirements will dictate the options you have. . But they need to be of a low/slimline profile. To fit these securely and operationally, a little enginuity will be required as modification to the fixing points, flue extraction and wiring is often required.

Thank s but none of those would be any good, its going into a horizontal surface (plasterboard), needs to be fairly flush with only 150mm overall height.

Are you not able to raise the height of the opening?

150mm is plenty of room for a slab-type hood, e.g.

rangecookers_appliances_slab_hood.jpg

assuming that the chimney is in the right place....

No I cannot raise the height of the opening.

I have just measured again and have about 4" clearance from the cooker hood when raised to the chimney ceiling.

Once I make a hole I have 150mm from the false ceiling to the metal joists running left to right.

I'm not able to measure much as I only have a 90mm hole to measure through.

BAS Will that the vertical bit of that one fit through a hole then vent into the chimney?

I then have the problem of moisture in the chimney and may be better with an expelair in the wall/window.

I have just measured again and have about 4" clearance from the cooker hood when raised to the chimney ceiling.
So a hood like that, with controls on the front edge, wouls fit?

BAS Will that the vertical bit of that one fit through a hole then vent into the chimney?
IHNI

I then have the problem of moisture in the chimney
You'd need a flue liner and condensation trap.

Could you take ducting horizontally through the chimney to an outside wall, rather than running all the way up the chimney?

We are beginning to think that a new dble glazed unit with a fan in it would be both better and cheaper.

Just need to find one that will extract for a large kitchen now.

Can go out the chimney as its an adjoining wall & in the middle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back