chimney flashings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently noticed dampnedd on an external wall adjacent to a chimney. Got 3 estimates ranging from £125 for side flahings only +soakers, £140 for side flashimgsand soakers, . The third said £380 for side flashings, back apron, and cover flashing replaced. Not sure which to go with sinc ethey all say somthing different is causing the dampness on the wall. Does anyone have any good advice ? :?:

Sponsored Links
Q1. Where are you located?
Q2. Can you post pics?
Q3. What materials (slate/tile) are on the roof?
Q4. Dont allow anyone to walk on/have access to your roof without a roof ladder.
Q5. What is the general condition of the roof?

Thank you for your respone, Ill try to answere as best as I can.. No pics to show you
Location Harrow, Middlesex
Roof is made up of slate tiles( old type) . Nash house with original roof. Condition ok ish , no other problems so far
£ 380 Roofer probably went up to see roof with roof ladder ( he did this while I was away at work , so he must have propped ladder on th eside of the house ,as the chimney in question is an old unused kitchen chimney on the side of the house so anyone could get easy access. He also spotted 2 holes ( size of 10 p pieces in tgh e) aluminum seamless guttering ( approx 20 years old) near this chimney. so has said he will fix these also. £ 125 roofer went into my loft to see the chimney, didi not look at it with a ladder
£14o rooferused ladder to view the chimney - did not spot the holes !and said the back flashings were fine!
So many views .. its difficult to know what to believe

See Mattjd post - next to yours in forum - for further info.
If a gutter is present i assume you have a hip roof? The guttering is usually a separate issue.
Are you able or willing to go up yourself?

Sponsored Links
mnb said:
See Mattjd post - next to yours in forum - for further info.
If a gutter is present i assume you have a hip roof? The guttering is usually a separate issue.
Are you able or willing to go up yourself?

sorry dont know what a hip roof is...
cant go up on the roof as I dont have a roof ladder.
Would gutterring holes cause the damp walls in the bedroom which is adjacent to the chimney stack?
what questions do I need to ask the roofer and how do I know what is a reliable estimate?

hippgable.gif

You can ask all the Q's you want but without eye-balling the job or you
posting pics to us we cant really help.
Study the lead sheet assn. diagrams and ID your set-up then come back.

1.make sure the chimney is vented top+bottom 2. get an old school plumber to look@/do the flashing :LOL: ;) 3 avoid itinerant roofers like the Bubonic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back