Chimney Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having a chimney rebuilt. Originally it must have been for a coal fire, we now have gas fires installed and wondering if the height of the rebuild needs to match the same. I've read about 2 foot, 10 foot, 3-foot standard. Does this apply to gas fires also?

Chimney is on outside of house (see image)

Attachments

• chimney.jpeg
    chimney.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
have the flues been swept?
has the flues been smoke tested?
take it thers no opening window or so on that roof plane.
do the flues have SS flue liners?

the actual flue terminal should be 1.5m horizontal from the slope of the roof.
google for pics of gas roof terminal clearances.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The chimneys will be swept. Have no flu liners.
What sort of terminal can be used for a gas fire to put on top of brick chimney? Can I use the metal ones or a traditional chimney pot?

Cheers

I really don't know but I would be wondering whether I needed those chimneys - modern houses with gas fires just seem to have a short flue/cowl sticking out of the roof.

Sponsored Links
use a traditional pot with a clay gas insert or a Colt gas terminal fixed to the pot.
dont use a metal terminal without a pot - it will rot out sitting on the flaunching. just because cheap anlazy installers fix them into the flaunching doesnt mean its a good practice.

you might want to use a HETAS who is GasSafe for installin your fires and advisin about any needed flue liners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back