chimney help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just wonder if i could get some advice

got a knock on the door a few weeks ago from the next door neighbour (we live in a old terrace house) they have a damp patch on their bedroom wall where it joins the ceiling. she got a roofing guy out to give her a quote but he refused to go up and have a look because it was most likely our chimney that was leaking so we need to get a quote not them,

we also have a similar damp patch on the chimney wall in our bedroom,

so i wanted to know if it is my chimney leaking am i responsible for her damp patch

also our house is rented and it takes ages to get the landlord to fix things, so i was wondering if its the lead flashing on the chimney? and is it something that i can do myself?

Sponsored Links
Any flashing on the neighbours side of the chimney is for them to maintain - even if the chimney is yours and not shared

A landlord is responsible for this type of repair. You would be mad to go up to fix this, report it to them, give them five days to attend, else state that you will get someone else to do it and reclaim the costs back from the landlord

Also the costs of redecorating are claimable from the landlord

Advise the neighbour to contact your landlord if they feel that the leak is coming from his property

I had two leaking chimneys on my house. I couldn't see any obvious reason for the leaks - The flashing looked (and was) fine.

I've since had both chimneys fixed. The problem on the first chimney was that it had developed some cracks in the brickwork and very minor cracks in the plasterwork was all that was needed for water to seep into the brickwork and percolate inside the house via the brickwork. Second chimney was similar but the problem was made worse by cracked chimney lining due to a chimney fire at some stage.

The first chimney problem was solved by completely demolishing the chimney and tiling over the resultant hole. Demolition of the chimney breast inside gave me two larger rooms as well. .:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back