Chimney liner for gas Aga

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the fireplace in my kitchen opened up and the plan is to put a gas (LPG) Aga in. If the aga plan doesn't come to fruition, plan B is to install some kind of wood/coal stove.

I know the chimney needs lined and I will have scaffolding up in a couple of weeks for a different reason so I'd like to make use of it and drop the liner down then.

I know a wood burner will need a higher grade flue than a gas, but I wanted to check that there is nothing in gas exhaust fumes that would cause a problem for a stainless steel flue?

My plan was to use a 904/316 (inner/outer) twin skin flue that would handle whatever appliance I put in. Does that sound reasonable?

Second question is: the aga needs a 5" flue but a 6" is more common for stoves. Is it ok to put an aga into the larger flue? I know reducing is a bad idea, but wanted to check that increasing is ok?

Sponsored Links
You must determine exactly which kind of appliance, & which exact appliance you are intending to install before doing anything else.
When you have selected an appliance you should contact the appl Mfr. and ask them your questions. Its the safe way.
You must then work to the building opening dimensions that the app Mfr will supply.

Once you have Mfr's info and dimensions then come back here, and you will be advised on installation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back