CHIMNEY LINER INSULATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m in the process of getting my chimney lined for the new multi fuel burner that is sitting in my hearth, I have got all the deliveries except one (waiting for the register plate) once it arrives all I need is my builder to come round (I hate ladders) and hey presto “pass me the matches” .

My question is: I have seen a number of sites that advertise “Vermiculite” as an insulation! I have not anticipated an insulator for the 6” liner that is being fitted. Other question from this:

1. Do I need the insulation?

2. Surely if I fill the chimney with vermiculite I will not be able to remove the register plate for service or inspection of joints etc!

3. If I do need it how do I now how much vermiculite I need to fill the vortex?

Thanks

:D :D

Sponsored Links
A cement and vermiculite mix is often used to pack down behind the castings of an ordinary open fire, and it prevents heat loss from behind. This won't be an issue with a free standing wood burner, but I do use it to point up the gaps in the register plate - from above. Ideally, your flue liner should be connected to a collar on the register plate for maximum efficiency. Cheers John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back