Chimney lintel help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm looking for some building advice renovating the living room. Have a look at the attached image. What we are hoping to do is take back the wall outlined in red a course or so, to achieve an even chimney breast style in the middle of the wall from floor to ceiling. In the yellow circle there is a concrete lintel. From the fireplace the flue goes off to the right. Presumably this means the lintel is supporting the chimney thereafter?

I'm looking for options at this stage. The original vision was to have an exposed brick chimney breast and plaster on the left and right hand sides. Without taking that right hand side wall back I don't see how we can achieve the finish we're looking for.

The fireplace is not in good shape but that's another day :(

Attachments

• fireplace.jpeg
    fireplace.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Is this in a block of flats or tall house?

You need to find out what is going on with the brickwork - I would suspect the flue go off at odd angles which is the reason the other brickwork is there. Proceed with caution!

Thanks George. It's a tall house. I'm not sure we'll be able to do much with it the way it's been built.

I'm out of ideas really so might just say sod it and fix up and plaster the whole wall.

It's a shame we were really after an exposed brick middle chimney section but I can't see it looking very good with the right hand section as it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back