Chimney problem (smells from disused one)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just joined the group, hope it's the correct thread...

General :
There seems to be a damp sooty smell in the house.
History :
Moved in 30 years ago, coal fired living room fire. Replaced very quickly by enclosed coal/anthrasite burner.
This stayed for a few years till we could afford to have gas fired central heating.
With this they lined the chimney with a concertina type stainless flu top to bottom.
About four years ago we had our whole system replaced with a new combi boiler for the whole house. Not in the chimney .
Therefore the chimney was blocked up and bricked in. Even had some insulation inserted to reduce updrafts etc.
The stainless flu was not removed. New fire surround and electric fire fitted into the gap.
Earlier this year the damp sooty smell started which we did not notice unless we had been away from the house for a day or two.
Now a month or so ago we broke into the brickwork and removed the rather smelly damp insulation from the chimney.
Considerable amount of damp sooty substanced was found and fell down.
We thought that by opening it up then an airflow would be achieved and it would dry out. However we still get this damp smell.

Construction:
Flu is capped off with a vent Note that this vent cap is on the stainless flu and not the general chimney.
Historically I think the previous owners used to burn wood, as we did for a month or so.

QUESTION: (at last)

Should I remove the stainless flu from the chimney stack and give the main chimney a chance to dry out?

Any suggestions or comparisons from anyone much appreciated. Driving us mad.

Health: I'm asthmatic and it iritates my breathing, it just iritates the wife.

Sponsored Links
removal of any disused flue ducting would be a good idea.
then look at getting a decent terminal cap 1 that lets air flow but keeps the rainwater out
sweep the chimney if possible to remove as much coal dust etc as you can.
make sure there is an air gap at the bottom of the flue / fireplace to allow a small amount of air to pass through.
check the flashing round the chimney for any cracks or splits that may allow moisture in

Thanks
Kevindegas,

It's about what I thought, ah much joy for a winters day while the sun shines or not as the case may be.

Stack has been checked and been told it was OK, it was pointed last year. Flashing all in place and sealed.

So will probably pull the steel worm out from the top. then there are not bends.

Regards
Princy

Sponsored Links
HI,

the whole chimney is capped off with cement, with the flue having a vent cap on it...
Therefore I'm assuming there would be a small air flow up the flue but not much flow atall in the actual chimney stack itself.
If you get my drift

Princy

there shut be a vent in the actual area where the fire place itself would have been.

HI,

the whole chimney is capped off with cement, with the flue having a vent cap on it...
Therefore I'm assuming there would be a small air flow up the flue but not much flow atall in the actual chimney stack itself.
If you get my drift

Princy

thats why it is getting damp as there isn't any air flow in the stack just the steel worm as you called it!

I see posts about the vents where the fire place used to be. thats great but then you get drafts....do you have a wooden floor.....if so heres an idea ....i have done this for a few people now.

You need air flow though the the breast. now this takes a little longer than just putting in an air brick in the living room breast but its a better job and no drafts in your room...the floor next to the breast is pulled up the bottom of the breast into the sub structure is removed and rebuild including air bricks to help with the circulation. floor relayed. you then have circulation and no drafts in the house.

By the way this only helps with ground floor breasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back