Chimney question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am doing the structural bits on a spec development of a pair of semis for a client/friend of mine.

The architect has shown a fireplace for an open fire on the party wall in the lounge, offset to the centre of the room. He's then shown the flue at first floor as offset, to the fireplace, so as to exit at the ridge.

The client wants to move the fireplace to the centre of the room, resulting in this being further from the flue at first floor level, but is there any suggested max horizontal distance from a throat to a vertical flue and angle of the flue section between to avoid messing up the draw?

Is there any difference if, say this had a woodburner or gas fire?

Sponsored Links
Hi, shy,
(Just 'got' your name today BTW,) :LOL:
When I were a lad...
If it's a class 1 opening, (capable of being used as, or looks like it might be used as an open fire( chimney breast )) then I would think the breast should be as wide as the spread of the flue, that is to say that the breast has to reach over to the middle of the ridge, if that's where it's coming out.
I don't remember anything specific about that in Nash, but there are a lot of regs regarding fire openings and flues.
It's a pity architects can't draw what is buildable according to accepted practice. :rolleyes:

Better late than never, Chess :) (re the name I meant!)

Yeh, think I'm gonna have to get my Chudley books out and take a gander. As you say, kin architects... :rolleyes:

Right on, shyt-alkz,
what's the book you refer to? it was always Nash wen I were a lad.

Sponsored Links
Oh, Right, £20! I won't bother then, but thanks
Keep an eye out of a copy of
The Cherry StoneWallPrinciple, by The returned one.
An unmissable read for all, mine,s falen to pieces from over use.
Alan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back